The site selected was one of the most beautiful on the river; a high prairie, with deep ravines on each side, through one of which flowed the Shunganunga, here a broad deep stream, bordered with heavy timber. Mr. Stinson's house and farm were picturesquely situated near the Shunganunga, on the eminence where the upland and prairie slope down to the river. During the winter of 1854 a sawmill was built by Messrs. Uptegraph and Morris, and a store was opened by Messrs. William Vaughan and B. Sublette, the first mill and store in the place. Rev. J. B. Stateler preached the first sermon in his tent, October 10, 1854, his house not being built at the time. A ferry was established by T. N. Stinson and J. K. Waysman in 1854, arranged with ropes and buoys; the boat being of sufficient size to carry three teams or wagons at each trip. A good road was constructed to the ferry landing, and the enterprise was considered an important one, the ferry being the principal crossing for the route from Leavenworth to the Sac and Fox and other Southern agencies. A school was opened in the early spring of 1855 by William Ireland. Two mail routes were established about the same time, one from Tecumseh to the Sac and Fox agency, the other via Pottawatomie Baptist Mission to Uniontown and Wabaunsee.
"That we will endure and submit to these laws (the bogus laws) no longer than the best interests of the Territory required, as the least of two evils, and will resist them to a bloody issue as soon as we ascertain that peaceful remedies shall fail, and forcible resistance shall furnish any reasonable prospect of success; and that in the meantime we recommend to our friends throughout the Territory the organization and discipline of volunteer companies, and the procurement and preparation of arms."